Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa

I do love the first Madagascar movie, but for me I must admit that the penguins stole the show. Seeing as Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa is a sequel to a children’s film I really didn’t expect a lot out of it, but I was really hoping to have some more funny penguin scenes. What I got out of Madagascar 2 was much more than just my beloved penguins (who again stole the show) but a genuinely good and funny movie, not just a cheesy second film in a franchise.

This time around our four furry friends are aided by the penguins in getting out of Madagascar and back to New York; however, they again miss their target destination and instead land on a nature preserve in mainland Africa where they all attempt to become assimilated into their packs only to suffer their own identity crisis’s.

I must admit that as much as I enjoy these movies, they could make the entire film about the penguins and I would be happy. The penguins are by far the most enjoyable animated team of characters that I have seen in years. They are unfailingly funny and whether I see them try to prove that a penguin “can fly” or dealing with a worker’s revolt as they try to rebuild their plane.

It also makes me a bit sad that this film has one of the final performances of Bernie Mac as Zuba the lion; but it was nice to see that the movie was not a bad one so he can be remembered through this film.

I think that Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa is a movie that will be funny to adults as well as children and it is a film that will play well on multiple viewings. The jokes are genuinely funny, and the characters well written.

Director: Eric Darnell & Tom McGrath
Writer: Etan Cohen
Alex: Ben Stiller
Marty: Chris Rock
Melman: David Schwimmer
Gloria: Jada Pinkett Smith
Julien: Sacha Baron Cohen
Maurice: Cedric the Entertainer
Mort: Andy Richter
Zuba: Bernie Mac
Makunga: Alec Baldwin

Alex: Hey! Happy Slappers! Is there any reason to celebrate? Look at the plane!
Private: We'll fix it.
Alex: Fix it? How you gonna fix this?
Private: Grit, spit, and a whole lotta duct tape.

No comments: