Monday, July 27, 2009

The Princess Bride

Prince Humperdink plots secretly to start a war against the neighboring kingdom of Gilda by having his fiancée Buttercup kidnapped and killed; however, the Dread Pirate Roberts ends up rescuing his fiancée and turn out to be her long lost love Westley. Buttercup & Westley flee from Humperdink until finally cornered; Wesley is taken prisoner & Buttercup is taken back to the castle to continue with her wedding. Meanwhile, Fezzik & Inigo plot Westley’s escape and Humperdink develops a new plot for Buttercups murder and the framing of Gilda.

The Princess Bride is one of the single most unique films I’ve ever seen, and definitely one of my favorites. This movie sustained me in my childhood. Next to the Star Wars trilogy I think I’ve seen this film more than any other movie. I can quote most of it line for line.

What is perhaps most memorable of The Princess Bride is perhaps part of what makes it so unique – the grandfather reading the story to his grandson. I think that perhaps this storytelling device is one of the most unique devices in history and Fred Savage & Peter Falk’s banter are the perfect amount of levity to add to a very over-the-top story that help put some reality in the craziness. William Goldman’s decision to use the grandfather and grandson to move the story forward is brilliant.

I know that everyone is in love with Inigo Montoya but I think that perhaps my favorite character in the film is Miracle Max. Amongst a cast of extraordinary characters Billy Crystal managed to create a character and performance that stands out from the pack as the bitter magician who wants to crush Humperdink for firing him. Miracle Max is a character to be remembered.

I genuinely think that anyone that has never seen The Princess Bride needs to give it a chance. I really think you’ll like it.

Director: Rob Reiner
Writer: William Goldman
Westley: Cary Elwes
Inigo Montoya: Mandy Patinkin
Prince Humperdink: Chris Sarandon
Count Tyrone: Christopher Guest
Vizzini: Wallace Shawn
Fezzik: Andre the Giant
The Grandson: Fred Savage
Buttercup: Robin Wright Penn
The Grandfather: Peter Falk
Miracle Max: Billy Crystal

Westley: I told you I would always come for you. Why didn't you wait for me?
Buttercup: Well... you were dead.
Westley: Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.

No comments: