Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Last House on the Left


last house on the left
Originally uploaded by hypostylin
Mari is a hippie to the soul who has parents that love her but are trying to understand her. The day before her birthday she goes into New York to see a concert with her friend Phyllis. In traditional teenage fashion the two become rambunctious once in the city and decide to try and score some pot. However, they ask the wrong seedy individual and instead of getting high they end up the prisoners of a group of criminals; these criminals torture the girls and finally kill them and as luck would have it when their car breaks down on the run they end up seeking shelter at Mari’s house. When Mari’s parents discover what these people are responsible for they realize they are stuck without phones, and without police so they take revenge into their own hands.

The Last House on the Left is the movie that helped put Wes Craven on the map and I am a huge Craven fan, but I did not like The Last House on the Left. I found it tonally bizarre and downright gross – I have never been a fan of gross horror. I didn’t understand why on earth the police officers in the film were inserted into the film as slapstick comedy segments, and the music choices were just as odd.

I really can’t say a whole lot about this movie, like most of the horror classics I’ve seen I leave them wanting more. I do know that I don’t really want to dwell on this movie too much because while I thought it was kind of stupid, it was also pretty disgusting. However, I actually disliked this movie so much that I am not sure I will see the remake.

Director & Writer: Wes Craven
Mari Collingwood: Sandra Peabody
Phyllis: Lucy Grantham
Krug: David Hess
Fred: Fred J. Lincoln
Sadie: Jeramie Rain
Dr. Collingwood: Richard Towers
Estelle Collingwood: Cynthia Carr

Estelle Collingwood: I think it's crazy.
Mari: What's crazy?
Estelle Collingwood: All that blood and violence. I thought you were supposed to be the love generation.

No comments: