Saturday, November 21, 2009

Star Trek

I have been waiting anxiously for Star Trek to come out on DVD for months now, it’s no secret that I adore this film.

What struck me about the film this time around is the camera movement Abrams put into his shots. They’re slightly unique for the camera work one would normally see in this kind of film and I honestly think that it’s a technique I might try out some day. Abrams uses a lot of dolly work for his shots and will start or end with a canted angle. In the planet bound scenes it adds a nice visual character to the shot, but when done on the Enterprise and when they are in space it aids to the visual idea that they are in space, a place without a right side up or gravity to pin the ship down.

I will also be interested to see if Abrams does direct the sequel if he keeps the camera flares or drops them from his visual style. While the camera flares grew on me when I first watched the film, I can’t see any story centric reason for them to be there, they seem to merely be there because Abrams thought they were a nice visual touch. I may have come out of Mission: Impossible 3 feeling like the film was good but looked a bit television like, but I did not get that feeling at all from the visuals in Star Trek.

Be prepared for many, many viewings of this film now that I have it on DVD and don’t have to pay $10 a pop to see it.


Kirk: Showing them compassion. It may be the only way to earn peace with Romulus. It's logic, Spock, I thought you'd like that.
Spock: No, not really. Not this time.

No comments: