Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ferris Bueller's Day Off


Sticker "Save Ferris"
Originally uploaded by pere koniec
I didn’t discover Ferris Bueller’s Day Off until I began to work at a video store. You see, for some reason I have a void where pop-culture from the 1980’s should be so when my managers decided to playstock Ferris Bueller I just went with it.

The thing about putting movies in playstock is that while you don’t get to sit and watch them while working, you still experience them because they never fully become background noise to you. Action movies are normally the worst, because every time a loud bang, explosion or scream occurs you automatically look at the televisions around the store, but a comedy can be just as bad. When you are shelving videos or doing another or a hundred mindless tasks and you learn the movie without ever trying. Before long you know lines of dialogue, know scenes of the film or characters names, and when it’s a movie like Ferris Bueller’s Day Off you really want to start putting those moments you’ve become so familiat with into context. So I did.

After a few weeks of Ferris & Cameron being a regular part of my work rotation I caved and saw the film and have forever been glad I did. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is the quirky, slacker anthem of a generation and no matter how outlandish it gets, it’s a slice of the American high school experience as only John Hughes could do.

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is a film that everyone can appreciate somehow. John Hughes does that. He makes films with outlandish characters, extreme situations, high emotion and somehow manages to leave you with a completely relatable film that you never tire of watching.

I will miss John Huges every time I watch one of this films.

Director & Writer: John Hughes
Ferris Bueller: Matthew Broderick
Cameron Frye: Alan Ruck
Sloane Peterson: Mia Sara
Jeanie Bueller: Jennifer Grey

Ferris: Not that I condone fascism, or any -ism for that matter. -Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me." Good point there. After all, he was the walrus. I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people.

No comments: