Saturday, January 9, 2010

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

I just bought The Half-Blood Prince so I decided to rewatch the entire Harry Potter series to lead up to number six. I have to say that while I am happy the franchise was started, the first film is still my least favorite, especially since I read the books.

The Sorcerer’s Stone is simply the most cumbersome of the franchise. I realize that the first film in any franchise the first film is that ends up bogged down with exposition and setting up the world we will be introduced to; however, I don’t think the first Harry Potter film sets this up very well.

Before I read the books I never understood the entire significance of both Harry and Voldomort, it wasn’t until the second or third film that I understood the significance of “the boy who lived” and “he who shall not be named” whereas after the first fifty pages in Rowling’s book I understood that thousands had died because of the most evil man in history who turned on his own, and that Harry managed as a baby and continues to manage as an adolescent to beat this evil and he’s the only one who ever has.

I don’t want the series to be remade for a very long time, but if it does ever get remade I will be excited to see if the first chapter is done differently.

No comments: