Friday, May 15, 2009

Star Trek


Leonard Nimoy as Spock
Originally uploaded by popomohaha
I saw Star Trek with my Mother on Mother’s Day. I have to say that while the surprise factor was gone, the film was still as fresh, exciting and funny as I remembered it to be. In fact, this time I caught more because I wasn’t laughing so hard at some of the jokes. This is a well written film. It really does balance character, mythology, humor and suspense throughout the entire length of the film. One of the most enjoyable things about it for me is that from the opening frames the film hit the ground running and continues at a break neck pace until it’s conclusion. This is incredibly hard to do and most films that have done it usually sacrifice the film quality or plot to get it done, but Abrams and his writers managed to pull it off so well it seems effortless.

It is also my personal opinion that this Trek film was influenced hugely in its technique and execution by Firefly. While I may not have been too big a fan of things like the lens flares Abrams uses in Star Trek I was a fan of the way he shot space. You’ll notice that there is very little fire in space when ships explode, sound is gone unless it’s coming from an oxygenated environment, and they also use the fast/messy digital zooms that Firefly used constantly in its space shots. The similarities are pretty obvious to anyone that calls themselves a Browncoat and frankly the film is better for it. Firefly helped realistically define how to create space for film and television and I am glad that other people have taken notice of that short lived show.

I also have to say that I am impressed at how seamlessly the filmmakers integrated Leonard Nimoy into the film. When I first found out Nimoy was going to be in Star Trek I was actually worried that he would be used in some artificial, stick-out-like-a-sore-thumb kind of way, or he’d bookend the film and just be superfluous. Instead, Nimoy’s Spock was just as important to the film as any other character and I have to say I am so incredibly glad I got to hear Nimoy’s version of Spock say “Live long and prosper” once more time on screen.

Christopher Pike: Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including yours. I dare you to do better. Enlist in Starfleet.

No comments: