Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Chaplin

I think I need to see Scent of a Woman. You might think this is an odd way to start a review on Chaplin but you know I’m a bit eccentric and I swear relevance is coming.

I need to see Scent of a Woman because I want to see why it was so applauded; I need to see the performance of Al Pacino. Pacino is an incredibly talented actor who deserves much acclaim, and I need to see this performance because he won the best actor Oscar for it. I need to see it so I can figure out if he should have won over Robert Downey Jr, because to this day I cannot watch Chaplin without marveling over the sheer amount of talent, care, and the complete transformation that happens on screen. I need to see why Downey didn’t get the Oscar, because if he didn’t get it Pacino must just about melt the screen in Scent of a Woman.

Movies about movies hold a special place in my heart, and Chaplin is one of the best. The fact that the film is a true story, an excellently done one at that makes it all the better. I love that I can see the history of the industry in Chaplin and how mixed with our nation and world’s cultures the movies really are. The fact that Chaplin is an excellently made film just makes it all the better.

Mack Sennett: Now I know this is all new to ya, but remember something, we're all new. This is not an ancient industry. This whole place here is built around speed. Start the story, start the chase. I get bored easy.
Rollie Totheroh: How much you reckon Mack? Couple yards of Mabel?
Mack Sennett: Hmm, yeah. Nah, make it three. But don't go thinking we sacrifice quality. I never make more than two motion pictures a week, but I'll spend up to a thousand dollars on each of 'em if I have to.

1 comment:

Adam said...

It's widely believed that Pacino won for "Scent of a Woman" as a consolation prize for losing for "The Godfather Part II."