Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Supernatural: Season 2

One of the things that I love about watching television shows on DVD is that I can be pulled into the world of the characters much longer than I can be pulled into the world of a film – 22 episodes instead of 2-3 hours. Maybe my subconscious has needed the extended escapism, but lately I’ve been watching a lot of TV on DVD – I’ve been burning through BSG and somehow managed to slowly get through another season of Supernatural.

I really think I’ve been using Supernatural as my radio. What I mean is that I plug it on in the background while I am doing something else. I’ve already seen it, so I have context and know the world and characters, and all I have to do is select “play all” and I don’t have to change a disc for quite awhile. And it totally beats just turning the TV on and having to deal with commercials.

Season two is definitely pivotal to the show. While I will be waiting to see how the series ends, I am slowly coming to the idea that while the show is about the brothers Winchester, I think the slightly more central focus of the character is Dean. Sam is incredibly important but almost everything having to do with the show comes back to Dean and how he responds to Sam, his father, the apocalypse, etc. Dean from the very first episode of the series is the one to get things rolling between the brothers.

I really don’t want this show to end after only five seasons, but if they do choose to end the show this year I sure hope it goes out with a bang. Too many series have finales that make you feel the time you’ve invested into the show wasn’t worth it, and I really don’t want Supernatural to do the same, but with the direction the show has always been headed I really don’t think I have to worry.

Sam: At least I'm not afraid of flying.
Dean: Planes crash, Sam!
Sam: And apparently clowns kill!
~Everybody Loves A Clown~

No comments: