Saturday, February 14, 2009

Confessions of a Shopaholic

I’ve read the first three Shopaholic books and I love them. So when I found out Becky Bloomwood was coming to the big screen I was excited. However, while I was disappointed that the take of Becky Bloomwood from Sophie Kinsella’s books was not on the big screen the version of Becky Bloomwood that did arrive was an enjoyable romp.

Central to Kinsella’s books and the Bruckheimer version of Confessions of a Shopaholic is the relationship between Becky and Luke Brandon an American, London-raised playboy who somehow develops eyes for Becky even with her flaws on display. While I enjoyed the chemistry and cuteness on screen between Luke and Becky I do have to say that like so many other romantic films Shopaholic committed the cardinal sin of putting the lead characters in a relationship without proper motivation – there was simply the motivation of the writers/director to move the story to the next plot point so the characters have one moment then they kiss and badda-bing – relationship!

I loved Isla Fisher as Shopaholic’s Becky Bloomwood. She was cute, fashionable, bubbly and clicked with the Americanized version of the story. Isla’s personality helped the jokes to flow and provided the emotional crux of the movie.

While I was disappointed that the film wasn’t what I read in the books I still think that the movie was absolutely adorable. Confessions of a Shopaholic is Shopaholic for a American audience that wants to see a bubbly version of Sex & the City.

Director: P.J. Hogan
Writers: Tracey Jackson, Tim Firth & Kayla Alpert
Rebecca Bloomwood: Isla Fisher
Luke Brandon: Hugh Dancy
Suze: Krysten Ritter
Jane Bloomwood: Joan Cusack
Graham Bloomwood: John Goodman
Edgar West: John Lithgow
Alicia: Leslie Bibb

No comments: