Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Wedding Singer

Robbie Hart is the best wedding singer around…until his fiancée Linda doesn’t show up to their wedding. This sends Robbie into a downward spiral that his friends Julia, Sammy & Holly to pull him out of it. Even though Robbie can no longer stand to perform at a wedding he agrees to help Julia plan hers when her fiancée Glen is less than amenable to helping Julia. The problem becomes that somewhere along the way Robbie and Julia begin to develop feelings for one another and Robbie begins to learn that Glenn has less that honorable intentions towards Julia.

The Wedding Singer is a movie that came out when I was in high school and I have to say that my love for this movie has stuck with me since the first time I watched it. While this movie is no Billy Madison or Happy Gilmore I think that it is dang funny, the humor is a bit more subtle and pop culture oriented than Sandler’s pervious films. The Wedding Singer is set in 1985 and makes fun of everything from Miami Vice & Michael Jackson to Delorian’s & Madonna. The Wedding Singer still has angry outbursts that are part of Sandler’s comedy but in the end those actually add into the arch of Robbie’s character and not just add to the chuckle factor inherent in the film.

This movie is a romantic comedy, but it is a romantic comedy with a genuine sense of humor and that makes it a very memorable one in my book. I implore you to watch this film and not find something to laugh at – especially if you are a child of the 80’s or early 90’s.

Director: Frank Coraci
Writer: Tim Herlihy
Robbie: Adam Sandler
Julia: Drew Barrymore
Holly: Christine Taylor
Sammy: Allen Covery
Glenn: Matthew Glave
Rosie: Ellen Albertini Dow
Linda: Angela Featherstone
George: Alexis Arquette
David: Steve Buscemi

Linda: The point is, I woke up this morning and realized I'm about to get married to a wedding singer? I am never gonna leave Richfield!
Robbie: Why do you need to leave Richfield? We grew up here. All our friends are here; it's the perfect place to raise a family.
Linda: Oh, yeah - sure! Living in your sister's basement with five kids while you're off every weekends doing wedding gigs at a whoppin' sixty bucks a pop?
Robbie: Once again, things that could've been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!

No comments: