Sunday, February 8, 2009

Rambo

I don’t understand why Sylvester Stallone is revisiting his greatest hits, first he did another Rocky and then back to the ultimate guy series - Rambo.

John Rambo has been living in Thailand off the grid when a group of missionaries pays him to take them into war torn Burma, reluctantly he agrees to take them. When they disappear he is paid to take a group of mercenaries back into Burma to rescue the missionaries. Thus concludes the dialogue in the film and begins the mindless blowing up and carcasses piling up.

I seriously think that Quentin Tarantino had a hand in creating this installment of Rambo. There is so much carnage, gore and destruction in this film that it is a wonder that they proceeded with a script at all. I have officially seen Rambo rip someone’s throat out with his fingernails (because apparently snapping a neck is just so passé) and give so many “I can kill you with my bear hands” stares that I almost feel like if there were ten minutes more to Rambo I might be on my way to manhood myself.

I can’t help wondering what inspired Rambo. I have nothing against Sylvester Stallone working or even directing, but I really didn’t enjoy Rambo. Perhaps it’s just far too much of a guy movie for me.

Director: Sylvester Stallone
Writers: Sylvester Stallone & Art Monterastelli
John Rambo: Sylvester Stallone
Sarah: Julie Benz
School Boy: Matthew Marsden

John Rambo: Any of you boys want to shoot, now's the time. There isn't one of us that doesn't want to be someplace else. But this is what we do, who we are. Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call.

No comments: