Sunday, February 15, 2009

Swingers

So it’s Valentine’s Day and I managed to get through it without having to watch a romantic movie, instead I watched sat on my day bed with my best friend, we wrapped ourselves in throws and we watched Swingers. I adore this movie and she had never seen it and I have to tell you that it was a really fun movie to watch with someone else for the first time.

What was really fun in watching Swingers with someone who has never seen it is watching them react to the vocabulary in the movie: “money”, “babies”, metaphors about bunnies & bears, etc. I am so used to hearing Trent call Mike “money” that I don’t even think about it any more, but I remembered it does take some adjusting to…I still think the adjusting is worth it. The characters are just far too fun.

The thing is that I watched Swingers because I didn’t want to watch a cute romantic movie and in watching Swingers I realized that Mike (Jon Favreau) is absolutely adorable in Swingers. While Trent & Sue are boozing and trying to pick up anything with a skirt Mike is actually managing to deal with his emotional baggage and find a girl that wants to do a little more than deal with his baggage for one night. So in avoiding romanticism I found an adorable guy – and he’s fictional – go figure.

Mike: Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. I spend half the night talking to some girl who's looking around the room to see if there's somebody else who's more important she should be talking to. And it's like I'm supposed to be all happy 'cause she's wearing a backpack, you know? And half of them are just nasty skanks who wouldn't be nothing except they're surrounded by a bunch of drunken horny assholes. And I'm gonna tell you something T. Are you listening?
Trent: Yeah, I'm listening.
Mike: I'm not gonna be one of those assholes. Alright? It just makes me sick. It's like, some nasty skank who isn't half the woman my girlfriend is, is gonna front me? It makes me want to fuckin' puke!

No comments: